Misconception #1: You Should Wait As Long As Possible Before Having Your Carpets Professionally Cleaned.
- No. Dirt is abrasive to your carpet fibers. Dirt acts like sand paper and causes damage to the carpet fibers every time you step on the carpet. High traffic areas will wear out quicker and look worn. In fact, the life span of a dirty carpet is much shorter than the lifespan of a clean carpet. Routine vacuuming will help, but is not enough to remove the dirt and other contaminants at the base of the carpet.
Misconception #2: The Only Reason To Clean Your Carpet Is To Remove The Dirt.
- No. As you know, our outdoor environment contains many surface and airborne contaminates such as, air pollution, pollen, bacteria, fungus, cigarette smoke, car exhaust, and much more. These contaminates are picked up and carried home on our shoes, clothes, and hair. It’s no surprise that they are found in our carpet and furniture too!
- For example: Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 different chemical compounds, and 43 of them are known to cause cancer. Even if you don’t smoke, these chemicals still get tracked into our homes.
- If you suffer from Allergies, Asthma or breathing problems you may experience some relief after having your carpet and upholstery professionally cleaned using truck mounted steam cleaning extraction.
Misconception #3: One Method Of Carpet Cleaning Is As Good As Another.
- No. There are 2 primary methods used in the industry. These methods are called Dry Cleaning or Steam Cleaning Extraction.
- Many people believe that Dry Cleaning your carpet is like dry cleaning your clothes. This is not true. All carpet cleaning methods use water.
- There are 3 types of dry cleaning available. The first method is dry foam cleaning. This method starts by applying shampoo to the carpet and allowing it dry. It is then followed by vacuuming the dried shampoo. Can you image applying shampoo to your hair, allowing it to dry, and then removing the dried shampoo from your hair with a vacuum? This method can leave a residue in your carpet and is one reason why it is not very effective at cleaning.
- The next method is the dry-chem method that is similar to the dry foam method. The major difference is when dry chemical is used they operate a floor machine with a cotton bonnet that absorbs the dirt. Bonnet cleaning is like trying to use a towel to rub the dirt out of your carpet. It is not effective in extracting contaminates out of your carpet.
- The last type of dry cleaning is called the dry compound method. This method involves spreading an absorbent mixture that looks like wet sawdust all over your carpeting. Then a machine brushes the mixture into the carpet, which in theory causes the dirt to absorb into the mixture. When the mixture has dried, a vacuum is used to remove the material. Since the material is not rinsed in anyway, it is not very effective at cleaning and removing contaminates.
- The primary cleaning method recommend by Shaw Industries, the worlds largest carpet manufacture is “Steam Cleaning Extraction” also known as “Hot Water Extraction”. Steam Cleaning uses 230 degree heated water at high pressure to thoroughly rinse the carpet fibers. This process is completed under strong negative pressure, extracting dirt, bacteria, dust mites and other contaminates out of the carpeting leaving the carpet only damp to the touch.
- This process is best completed by a powerful truck mounted unit. Smaller more portable units are also used in areas that are more difficult to obtain direct van access.
- We use only the Powerful Truck Mounted Units on the market.
Misconception #4: Having The Right Equipment Is All A Company Needs To Clean Your Carpets Properly.
- This statement is False. Although many companies operate truck mounted equipment, many of their employees are not trained properly on how to use them. This is one of the reasons why it is important to choose a carpet cleaning carefully.
- The best carpet cleaning companies are those that have been certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification. A company can not buy this certification; they must earn it through education, experience, and a successful completion of formal, written exams. We are certified and trained by the IICRC and follow its industry standards and guidelines.
- Misconception #5: The Company That Offers The Cheapest Price Is The One You Should Choose.
- Maybe… but maybe not. Here are 2 important factors to consider.
- 1st: The price you see advertised may not be the price you pay. Many homeowners have found out the hard way that the price they saw advertised was not what they were charged. Many people have become victim to false and misleading advertising. These “Bait & Switch” advertising practices are everywhere. Companies advertising professional carpet cleaning for $5.99 a room set the “bait” and then once inside your home they make the “switch”.
- This practice is illegal and fraudulent. As in all business and professions, the carpet cleaning industry has many unethical and dishonest companies and individuals. These people cast a dark shadow on our entire industry.
- Then you will find professionals like me, who work hard to earn your trust and respect. As a way of improving our professionalism, I have made it my personal commitment to educate the public on how to avoid becoming a victim of these scams.
- This is why I have created this message to allow you, to make intelligent and informed decisions when choosing a carpet cleaning company.
Misconception #6: Any Honest Carpet Cleaning Company Should Be Able To Give You An Exact Price Quote Over The Telephone.
- Although it can be possible to give a price quote over the phone, there is no way to give an exact quote with out seeing the job first. Typically an estimated price range can be given to create a general idea of the projected cost.
- Another factor to consider when requesting a price quote is the amount of furniture that has to be moved. If we have to move your furniture then the bid must include that labor.
- At America Home Services, we don’t nickel and dime you. Typically our charges are based on basic room/ area charges. Included in these charges is our signature 10 step cleaning method. We offer no hidden charges and don’t charge extra for cleaning solutions needed to clean your carpets (like the bait & switch companies do).